[GEM Development] GEMDOS for Lisa resurrected

rob at midworld.co.uk rob at midworld.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 10:10:53 PDT 2021

Hi folks -

I take it the deadness of the mailing list explains why my previous email on this subject never in fact arrived...

Last year I managed to resurrect the build system for GEMDOS for the Lisa, so it can be built from source again.  This was partly as a historical exercise, and partly because Digital Research's hard disc driver didn't actually work, and I wanted a GEM installation on a hard disc on the Lisa.

It turns out the source code in the GEM Porting Kit was reasonably complete, but not entirely; one or two bits were totally missing.  And once I got it working, I couldn't help but clean up a couple of other things that were annoying me: I stuck Tom Stepleton's ProFile driver in in place of DR's, which I never got working, and tidied up some other stuff (like not having hardcoded boot devices).

There's a discussion thread here:

https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?threads/gemdos-on-the-lisa-can-be-built-again.35896/

The source code for anyone who wants to have a look is here:

https://github.com/cheesestraws/lisa-gemdos

Have fun

Rob