[GEM Development] Some links to play with

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:52:08 PST 2020

I had a public holiday in Czechia today, so I did a bit of DOS hacking.

I have mentioned in the past that IBM make PC DOS 7.1 available as a
free download. It's quite hard to find, though.

So, firstly, download the Server Guide Scripting Toolkit from IBM here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ibm-serverguide-scripting-toolkit-dos-edition-version-1307

There are instructions how to find and extract the DOS files here:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80531

Alternatively, here is a VirtualBox bootable floppy disk image with them in:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsujtvp0gs44qcx/PCDOS71.vfd?dl=0

Note, PC DOS 7.1 is not a complete OS. To make a complete OS out of
it, you need a copy of PC DOS 2000, also known as PC DOS 7.01.

This is not that easy to find.

This was bundled for free with Connectix VirtualPC. VirtualPC is now
owned by Microsoft and is a free download. Old versions are out there,
e.g.
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/connectix-virtual-pc-40-upgrade

Just the PC DOS 2000 disk image, converted to VirtualBox VDI format,
compressed in Zip format, is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivwsi7fu0y4zvpk/PC_DOS_2000.vdi.zip?dl=0

It's about 10MB.

Note: this is the complete, unmodified Connectix VirtualPC DOS image.
It contains DOS integration tools for VirtualPC that do not work with
VirtualBox. VirtualBox does not have guest additions for DOS. You will
see some minor errors as it boots due to this.

Let me know how you get on.

More to come soon, I hope...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com