[GEM Development] Liam Proven! DOS in VirtualPC

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sat Dec 9 09:49:04 PST 2017

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 9 December 2017 at 18:12, Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co> wrote:
>>
>> And even a free-as-in-beer option, if it had even DR DOS's level of
>> compatibility, stripping out the DR-isms, might be useful to some people.
>
> What DR-isms? Give some examples!

It's the overall feel, I suppose.  It just doesn't feel right to me
(oddly, FreeDOS, which is far more broken than DR DOS, gets the feel down
a lot better).

>> I've...heard about that. *cough* They mooched some code from FreeDOS without
>> attribution too, IIRC.
>
> Detailed in the 2nd link I gave. You are bothering to read them, right?

I didn't read the links, but I had found out about it years ago from the
FreeDOS people.

>> Well, everyone's got different needs =p
>
> Sure, but DOS is DOS, more or less.

Less more, more less. ;)

>> DR DOS might make a starting point for something more MS-flavored.
>
> Again. Examples. What is this MS flavour of which you speak?

It's hard to describe, really.  But since DR DOS introduced different
features, or introduced them in a different way (usually earlier) than MS,
it has a noticeably different feel - and I just feel more comfortable with
the real thing...although Datalight ROM-DOS came pretty close when it was
freely available.

-uso.