[GEM Development] Service outage!

Peter R Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Sun Aug 22 03:33:54 PDT 2010

Thanks, Thomas!

There is no way not to watch the counts grinding on: we haven't had a
hung parliament since before World War 2, so few people have ever
experienced anything like this. Fortunately we don't have hanging chads
involved anywhere, but it is still a tense time -- you are right.
Anyway, we have three (perhaps four) Independents and a Green who will
probably hold the balance of power. As someone said early this morning,
it could restore genuine consideration of legislation within our lower
house. For too long, too much has been done in Cabinet with the
Parliament doing little more than rubber stamping (or trying to reject)
legislation.

I am somewhere near your more progressive Democrats politically, but I
have been distressed by how our Labor (roughly Democrat) Party has been
thrashing around over the past three years, emphasising silly ideas like
a compulsory ISP-level internet filter and hardly mentioning their
achievements in getting us through the GFC with a healthy economy and a
5-odd% unemployment rate, or the logic behind the National Broadband
Network. And you never quite knew where they stood on Global Warming or
Tax Reform, despite comprehensive reports.

It has enabled the Liberal-National Party coalition (roughly
Republicans) to promote unbelievable schemes and make wildly untruthful
accusations against Labor and be believed. I have been voting since
1967, and have never seen quite such cheek.

So it was interesting to watch the three Independents tonight, who have
all generally been National Party-aligned, actually speaking positively
about some of Labor's achievements (though not without acknowledgement
of their failings.)

Next weekend, perhaps we'll know.

It's good to know that others are aware of what is going on.

Peter