[GEM Development] [GEM-DEV] GEM 32

Michael Henry bromichaelhenry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:49:31 PST 2009

Kernel: Multiplatform (DOS, Maybe Windows, Linux, TOS (EMUTOS), embedded
systems, and for me OS/2 :D). Basically whatever GCC runs on.

Drivers: How about a HAL like in NT,2K etc. The HAL could take care of
system calls of whatever platform it was on.

Atari: Atari users have done a lot to modernize GEM and VDS, et all. See
what we can use to bring/merge GEM into one multiplatform GUI.  To be
honest, I don't think there was a true multiplatform (GUI GEM 1.x and maybe
GEOS but not really that multiplatform).

AES: Look at how XaAES is done. See how they overcome the kernel part and
run AtariGEM apps.

Just me two cents, Feel free to ignore or ridicule :D

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM, John Elliott <jce at seasip.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > I think a starting point for you is probably to have a chat with John.
> > He has done a lot of the work to modernize GEM.  His site is here:
> > http://www.seasip.info/Gem/index.html
>
>   You rrrrang, milord?
>
>  For what it's worth, I did get the AES building in DJGPP some years ago. I
> emphasise 'building' rather than 'running' -- it turned out the 16->32 bit
> transitions somewhere in the DPMI host or the libraries weren't re-entrant,
> which put something of a spanner in the works.
>
>  If anyone wants to write a proper 32-bit PC-GEM, they'll have to consider:
>
> * What kernel it's hosted on -- DOS, Linux, something else?
>
> * Memory protection. The AES thinks it _is_ the kernel and can see into the
>  memory of all the applications running under it. If you want to get this
>  working on a proper multitasking OS, you'll have to come up with some way
>  round this -- either using shared memory, or marshalling object trees to
>  and fro. (If the latter, the 16<-->32 marshalling code in my DJGPP
> bindings
>  may help you).
>
> * How are drivers implemented? The current ones are all 16-bit asm jobs.
>
> --
> John Elliott

Bro. Michael Henry
Associate Pastor
Monticello Christian Church

1 Timothy 1:15  "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation,
that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."