[GEM Development] [GEM-DEV] GEM 32

Peter R Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Sun Nov 8 03:44:04 PST 2009

A couple of times in the past, I asked questions about what everyone saw
as the purpose of GEM development: where should it go, and how might it
best be used. I am not sure that we have made much progress along that
path even now.

This is not to denigrate the work that many of the more technical people
have done to refine the current form of GEM, and make it more robust and
consistent.

I think it was 1992 when I first joined the group; Ben had just released
a new desktop; Robert Avon had recently set up a website as a repository
for everything Digital Research as had the chap from Scandinavia who
died, and John was shovelling away in the GEM basement working on the
underpinnings.

GEM has come a long way, and OpenGEM has moved on quite a bit since I
last looked in at Shane's work.

But David's comments suggest that some of those basic philosophical
questions still need to be addressed.

Personally, I used GEM for a short while as a DOS front end on a '386 I
was using mainly for experimental purposes, and then tried it out
briefly in conjunction with Desqview-X before other projects took up my
attention. I also used ViewMAX as a file manager in OS/2 for most of the
time I used that OS. I was always happier with it than with OS/2's
native file manager. But both uses are a long way in the past now...

Peter