[GEM Development] [GEM-DEV] GEM 32

Michael Henry bromichaelhenry at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 17:29:21 PST 2009

Hi guys,

I do want to apologize Shane because I did think the OpenGem was your
project. Most of my ideas was that way.

However, OpenGEM does provide a platform which is what's needed in any
project. For instance if I wrote a program and the libraries it used was
automatically included in OpenGEM, that makes it easier for consumers. It
just burns me that even using apt-get, there could be some dependency
issues.

BTW, I have used PC-BSD on my laptop. That was a whole lot easier with their
.pbi installers than using Linux.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Shane Gough <goughsw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I owe you an apology as well - I didn't mean to go off on rant like that.
>
> There seems to be a little confusion (mainly because of my name I guess) -
> I am NOT the same Shane that is responsible for ShaneLand OpenGEM. My net
> contribution to GEM (both commercial and open source) is limited to the
> posts I have made on this list. I have a handful of sample code I've written
> to test various ideas but none of it has ever been made public. So as you
> originally said all of this is in my minds eye - I just wanted to point out
> that I did not indicate anything else (the coincidence of my name and that
> of a major GEM contributor being the same has only just clicked).
>
> In terms of project I was not thinking of creating a new OS - my idea was
> to make a version of GEM that ran on a different OS (it already runs on two
> - DOS for IBM style machines and TOS for Atari's). The UI is not really tied
> to the underlying OS services (even Windows has a limited level of
> separation that can be replaced - that's how some 'skins' are implemented).
> Linux (or Unix based systems in general) are more flexible in that regard
> (and being open source - a lot easier to figure out how to do it). I did
> some research into the MMURTL stuff you mentioned (and it does look good -
> for anyone interested in implementing their own OS it would be a great
> start). The Linux kernel makes sense to me because there is hardware support
> for most of the devices I need as well as the underlying OS type stuff
> (threads, filesystems, networking, etc) so I can just concentrate on the UI
> stuff.
>
> The 'objectifying' stage was an idea to modernise GEM applications and ease
> porting. Basically if I could take existing code for a current application,
> convert it to use an OO framework and still have it work under 'classic' GEM
> then it should be a lot easier to convert that to a 32 bit version of GEM.
> There are a lot of assumptions in the GEM programs I have read through
> though - GEM Paint for example will crash if the active video mode is more
> thank 64K (in terms of width * height * bytes per pixel) - it assumes that
> 64K is the biggest chunk of memory that can be dealt with.
>
> A downside to many experienced GEM developers is that I would like to
> change the names of many functions (for example: The VDI function for 'Open
> Workstation' - op code #1 - would become vdiOpenWorkstation() as opposed to
> the recommended v_opnwk() - a lot easier to read and understand what it's
> doing).Most modern compilers (even the freebie ones available for DOS) are
> no longer limited to 8 character unique identifiers so there is no longer
> any need to truncate or abbreviate as much. As I am converting the function
> names I am also working on an automated translation script (using awk
> mostly) to help in the process if converting existing code.

> [...]

Bro. Michael Henry
Associate Pastor
Monticello Christian Church

1 Timothy 1:15  "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation,
that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."