[GEM Development] An opportunity to ask some questions :)

david johnson zaojashin at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 14:54:03 PDT 2009

Hello Shane,

Thanks for the interesting questions.  My comments below.  Thanks.

David Johnson

Section 1 - General Questions

1.1 - Are you developing software to run under GEM (any version)? If
No go to 1.2

Not developing but had some fun making simple ports of bwbasic
and 4tH to GEM.  I enjoy using 4tH in the GEM environment.

1.1.1 - What version of GEM are you developing for? (eg: OpenGEM, DR
GEM/3, Atari GEM)
FreeGEM & OpenGEM

1.1.2 - What tools are you using?

Pacific-C, turbo-C, djgpp, bindings and utilities from John Elliott

1.1.3 - Are they free? (as in 'really' free - released under a
free-ware or open source license)

 yes

1.1.4 - Where do you get your documentation? From the tools you use,
from other developers, from google?

Mostly from John Elliott's site and the related "FreeGEM" & "OpenGEM"
sites.

1.2 - Do you *need* to use GEM? If No go to 1.3

No.  Really cannot think of case where a better
 alternative is not available (though it my be more modern).

1.3 - Do you enjoy using GEM? If No go to 1.4
Yes

1.3.1 - Why?

It's fun playing with this bit of living history.
I completely missed seeing it.  As a user (mosty how
I use a computer), I moved from dos to windows with coming
across it.  If I was lucky, I could get my hands on mac
at the time.

1.3.2 - What would you change about current GEM versions if you could?
It would be interesting to see if anything more happens with GEMXM

1.4 - Please give me a free form comment about what you think of GEM.

It's great fun, many thanks to the FreeGEM, GEM-dev community for making
it available.