[GEM Development] An opportunity to ask some questions :)

James Stafford sariatv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:37:07 PDT 2009

Section 1 - General Questions

1.1 - Are you developing software to run under GEM (any version)? If
No go to 1.2

No

1.1.1 - What version of GEM are you developing for? (eg: OpenGEM, DR
GEM/3, Atari GEM)

n/a

1.1.2 - What tools are you using?

n/a

1.1.3 - Are they free? (as in 'really' free - released under a
free-ware or open source license)

n/a

1.1.4 - Where do you get your documentation? From the tools you use,
from other developers, from google?

n/a

1.2 - Do you *need* to use GEM? If No go to 1.3

Not really

1.2.1 - Why?

n/a

1.2.2 - What is stopping you from changing to another OS and UI ?

n/a

1.3 - Do you enjoy using GEM? If No go to 1.4

I like using GEM, but it is flawed in some ways. I think in modern
operating systems though, so maybe I'm being harsh with the following
criticism;

I can't rename files by just clicking once on the filename in each
respective window
I can't seem to rename files by using the Info/Rename command (!!)
No 256 colour support, but that's to be expected with 16-bit, surely

1.3.1 - Why?

I like the way it looks, the general 'look and feel' of GEM seems...
Ah, I don't know, I just like it :P I suppose it's something to do
with the Atari ST connection.

1.3.2 - What would you change about current GEM versions if you could?

I'd amend the problems in question 1.3, as well as..

Scrollwheel support would be useful

Different default UI options (the close, resize and drag characters
seem out of place - I changed the characters after installing to make
them more 'uniform'). If I recall, * was the icon used to close
windows. Wouldn't it be more fitting if it were just 'X'?

I must mention printer support, maybe something that isn't printer
specific, like the Text Only/Generic option in Windows?

User accounts within GEM rather than using DOS would be pretty cool. I
plan to use my DOS machine to manage handing out of serial numbers for
my business and printing on an impact printer, my life would be much
more organised if I had separate logins for each different category of
application (games, database, productivity etc...). I would use my Mac
for all that, and it'd probably be much easier and more secure, but I
need to use impact printing and sadly, this 2006 Macintosh doesn't
support printer connections from the mid seventies :(

Fixing half of the applications distributed with GEM. Write.app can't
seem to find 'Write.ini', which isn't terribly helpful. It would help
if the applications were all organised and kept in separate folders
rather than the current gemapps directory mess.

Of course all of these features are things for 'polished' operating
systems ;) I wouldn't see it nessacary to add any of them into GEM,
but they would be nice finishing touches, you know?

1.4 - Please give me a free form comment about what you think of GEM.

GEM is a useful tool, but not much more, and it requires a little more
work than it should do to get properly working. I've almost given up
trying to print with DOS and GEM, Linux doesn't seem to want to run on
my computer and Windows, hah! It's a shame, because GEM has a hell of
a lot of potential in my opinion. I'd still use it whatever the
situation, though.

Section 2 - Specific Questions

2.1 - Are there standard function names for the VDI/AES operations available?

Err...

2.1.1 - Would you be upset if the names changed (ie: for VDI function
#1 from v_opnwk to vdiOpenWorkstation)?

I'm not sure, should I be upset?

2.1.2 - Would it be better to make the older names available even if
different names were defined?

I always liked the name Randy, but you hardly see people called Randy
anymore. You should define more Randy people.

2.2 - Are there any OO frameworks for GEM development available?

Unless REAL Software have developed RB for GEM, I'm not too sure...

2.2.1 - If so, what languages (and compilers) are they available for?

n/a

2.2.2 - Do you think they are important for developing GEM applications?

n/a

2.2.3 - What languages (and compilers) would you like to see them for?

n/a

2.3 - Imagine this scenario: You can write applications for Linux that
use the standard GEM API and the output can be viewed on any external
device with the appropriate client program. Would this be useful for
you?

Pass?

Sorry, I'm no help here :P

--