[GEM Development] An opportunity to ask some questions :)

Olivier Landemarre olivier.landemarre at utbm.fr
Thu Mar 26 08:42:19 PDT 2009

Hello
> I'm glad there is some activity on the list at the moment, it gives me
> the chance to take a quick poll :)
>
> If you have the time would you please answer the following questions
> (section 1 is general, section 2 is specific to developers) and email
> back (to me personally if you don't want to bombard the list).
>
> Section 1 - General Questions
>
> 1.1 - Are you developing software to run under GEM (any version)? If
> No go to 1.2

Yes

> 1.1.1 - What version of GEM are you developing for? (eg: OpenGEM, DR
> GEM/3, Atari GEM)

Atari GEM
> 1.1.2 - What tools are you using?

GCC 4 cross compiler, GCC 2.95.3 native compiler, PureC, Interface, Qed

> 1.1.3 - Are they free? (as in 'really' free - released under a
> free-ware or open source license)

Except PureC and Interface, yes

> 1.1.4 - Where do you get your documentation? From the tools you use,
> from other developers, from google?

Atari compendium
http://arnaud.bercegeay.free.fr/gemlib/html/
http://toshyp.atari.org/
http://cd.textfiles.com/ataricompendium/BOOK/HTML/
http://removers.free.fr/wikipendium/wakka.php?wiki=WikiPendium
http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/

> 1.2 - Do you *need* to use GEM? If No go to 1.3

???
> 1.2.1 - Why?

For pleasure
> 1.2.2 - What is stopping you from changing to another OS and UI ?

I develop under Windows already but with very high level software dev

> 1.3 - Do you enjoy using GEM? If No go to 1.4

Yes
> 1.3.1 - Why?

So long time...! I know it very well
> 1.3.2 - What would you change about current GEM versions if you could?

VDI and AES should work together to have a modern AES (this is my need
for MyAES)

?

?
> 2.1.1 - Would you be upset if the names changed (ie: for VDI function
> #1 from v_opnwk to vdiOpenWorkstation)?

No, your example is bad because I know a compiler using already
vdiOpenWorkstation to do some more operation than v_opnwk() name
functions is not a problem please do not change theim
> 2.1.2 - Would it be better to make the older names available even if
> different names were defined?

Yes
> 2.2 - Are there any OO frameworks for GEM development available?

Like this?
http://windom.sourceforge.net/

> 2.2.1 - If so, what languages (and compilers) are they available for?

> 2.2.2 - Do you think they are important for developing GEM applications?

Yes
> 2.2.3 - What languages (and compilers) would you like to see them for?

> 2.3 - Imagine this scenario: You can write applications for Linux that
> use the standard GEM API and the output can be viewed on any external
> device with the appropriate client program. Would this be useful for
> you?

Yes I'm working on this! It's why I'm trying to write VDI after have
write AES!

Regards

Olivier