[GEM Development] An opportunity to ask some questions :)

Shane Gough goughsw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:55:01 PDT 2009

I'm glad there is some activity on the list at the moment, it gives me
the chance to take a quick poll :)

If you have the time would you please answer the following questions
(section 1 is general, section 2 is specific to developers) and email
back (to me personally if you don't want to bombard the list).

Section 1 - General Questions

1.1 - Are you developing software to run under GEM (any version)? If
No go to 1.2

1.1.1 - What version of GEM are you developing for? (eg: OpenGEM, DR
GEM/3, Atari GEM)

1.1.2 - What tools are you using?

1.1.3 - Are they free? (as in 'really' free - released under a
free-ware or open source license)

1.1.4 - Where do you get your documentation? From the tools you use,
from other developers, from google?

1.2 - Do you *need* to use GEM? If No go to 1.3

1.2.1 - Why?

1.2.2 - What is stopping you from changing to another OS and UI ?

1.3 - Do you enjoy using GEM? If No go to 1.4

1.3.1 - Why?

1.3.2 - What would you change about current GEM versions if you could?

1.4 - Please give me a free form comment about what you think of GEM.

Section 2 - Specific Questions

2.1 - Are there standard function names for the VDI/AES operations available?

2.1.1 - Would you be upset if the names changed (ie: for VDI function
#1 from v_opnwk to vdiOpenWorkstation)?

2.1.2 - Would it be better to make the older names available even if
different names were defined?

2.2 - Are there any OO frameworks for GEM development available?

2.2.1 - If so, what languages (and compilers) are they available for?

2.2.2 - Do you think they are important for developing GEM applications?

2.2.3 - What languages (and compilers) would you like to see them for?

2.3 - Imagine this scenario: You can write applications for Linux that
use the standard GEM API and the output can be viewed on any external
device with the appropriate client program. Would this be useful for
you?

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,
Shane