[GEM Development] (no subject)

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Mar 25 06:58:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Thomas Clayton wrote:

> Gene:
>
> I just looked this up.
>> OpenQM - A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the
>> classes.
>> http://gpl.openqm.com - Get it _today_!
>
> I'm still curious. What is meant by "Multi-Value database"?
> Still wondering AFTER reading several pages about it.
> Do they mean Multi-Relational?

Thomas, I think your best bet would be to read the introduction in this
doc: http://www.rushflat.co.nz/files/GSOpenQM-1.zip

Brian does a much better job than I could is explaining Multi-Value
databases.  Understand that the guide he wrote hardly refers at all to the
GPL version of OpenQM (which is a shame, but there you go), but everything
in it applies to the GPL version of OpenQM.

I use a Multi-Value system called Pick D3 at work and I've been a huge fan
of MV since '86 when I was first introduced to it.

SQL databases are more organizationally complex (to me) than MVDBs are.
For example, a product that was looked at to replace my ERP system
required over 20 tables to describe an order.  My system does it in 2
"files".   (one for order headers, one for order lines)