[GEM Development] GEM not going forward... Comments?

Michael Bernstein pcgem at mbernstein.de
Mon Jan 5 12:24:32 PST 2009

Hi David,

> Too bad GEM can't be built as a 32-bit system with DJGPP. I suppose
> if it _could_, then it could also be built with GCC under Linux,
> and then GEM could be a lite alternative to X.  Might get a bit
> more attention in the Linux community.

I think, it should not be impossible to build a 32-bit GEM. Pointers
used in the API are pointer to a typedef struct. eg:

EXTERN WORD appl_find( CONST BYTE FAR *ap_fname );

The same ist with the VDI. From the view of the application, it should
bo no problem and the Atari GEM proves this.

As far as i remember, the VDI drivers contains much assembler code
which makes it difficult to make a port to a 32-Bit GEM. Maybe a
look at EmuTOS (a free Atri TOS replacement) will help a little bit
because most of its GEM part was written in C.

I am afraid, a GEM for Linux will come a little bit late. Yes, it can
be a nice lightweight GUI. But most small Linux systems with GUI have
enoughr power for X and use X with a toolkit.

Best regards
Michael