[GEM Development] GEM on Atari

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 07:37:05 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 00:53 +1000, Shane Gough wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> When you say 'Gentoo running on FreeMINT' what do you mean? I would
> have thought that Gentoo (being a Linux based OS) would run directly
> on the hardware - all it needs is a bootloader (complexity and
> requirements depend on the system - I know my older Macs need to boot
> into OS 7.x and then run a Linux Bootloader to start Linux - they
> can't boot into it directly).

I really mean GNU tools running directly on FreeMiNT, nothing to do with
Linux at all. But most of the tools available via the SpareMiNT site are
outdated now, so I thought I'd start with something newer.

There's a team called Gentoo/Alt (or Gentoo/Prefix) which are porting
Gentoo to other OS's, and I've based my work from that.

> I'm not that interested in targeting Linux on Atari (ST/TT/Falcon) -
> I'm more interested in using the native TOS/VDI/AES calls on the GEM
> implementation for Atari. Once I get a real Atari (I set up eBay
> searches for it today) I wouldn't mind playing with Linux on the
> system though :)

Me too :-)

Alan.