[GEM Development] Source for Old Video Cards

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 15:15:09 PDT 2008

> I don't remember which one(S) John had a
> particular interest in testing his drivers against, but MAYBE one of them
> is available from this 'seller'.

  For what it's worth, the drivers I've built but can't test are:

* AT&T Display Enhancement Board
* Wyse 700 1280x800
* Genius 728x1008
* Genoa SVGA
* Quadram Prosync (I've got the card for this, but no EGA monitor)

  And the other driver I'd like to test at some point is:

* Paradise 8514/A Plus  (just an 8514/A won't do; I've tried).

  It occurs to me that rather than trying to find physical hardware for all
of these, it'd be simpler to hack support for the appropriate video modes
into a PC emulator. That'd also help with some of the funnies like
Plantronics and C&T 720x540, where I have to unearth this or that antique XT
every time I want to test.
  I built the BBC Master driver entirely on an emulator, not having a real
Master; and the Apricot Xi driver was developed in parallel with the
emulator (QDAE). Once I'd written the driver, it took me something like ten
months to get around to finishing the emulator and releasing it.

--
John Elliott