[GEM Development] [Fwd: How can be updated the OpenGEM background Desktop with an image?]

Peter R Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Tue Sep 25 06:21:36 PDT 2007

I don't know where Finnland came in in my thoughts -- it's a long time ago.

Robert Avis was my first point of contact with GEM development. I had
been given a 386 box -- full tower, space for about 6 drives -- and had
it running quite happily with DOS, but wanted a decent GUI for it.
Someone else gave me a set of GEM disks from an Amstrad, and I found
Robert while searching for more information on what GEM was about.

I have a sense that he lived somewhere near Tunbridge, and I sent him
the sets of files from the GEM disks, which he posted on his site. From
there, he put me in touch with Ben and John and GEM development.

I'd used ViewMAX earlier as a file manager in DOS 5 and in OS/2 Warp,
but was vague about how GEM and ViewMAX were related.

That's about it.

Peter