[GEM Development] Test: Ok, I'll Be the First to Try a Letter

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Feb 9 19:57:21 PST 2006

> > I'm still in a state of shock.  For the last 10 years, I've been workin=
> > on a DSL line that gave me 64k download and 25k upload speeds.  I thoug=
ht
> > it was fast. *cough*  Boy, was I wrong.
>
> ADSL for 10y? The first public tests of ADSL connections over the public
> telephone network in the UK were only about 5y ago (circa 2000-2001). I
> didn't think ADSL existed outside the telco labs a decade ago.

Technically I didn't have ADSL for 10 years.  I started off in 1996 with a
pair of B channels on an ISDN circuit.  The ADSL came a little while
later.

> Secondly, the *slowest* ADSL lines I've ever heard of were around
> 512Kb/s downstream; speeds of 128Kb/s or so upstream are typical. 64Kb/s
> is ISDN speed and by aggregating 2 channels (ISDN channels typically
> come in pairs) you'd be able to get 128Kb/s, and that would be
> symmetrical, with 64Kb/s upstream too.

I was referring to 64kbytes/sec, not 64kbits/sec. :)  The circuit is
640/256.

> I have read that America was ahead in broadband uptake. 64K hasn't been
> a fast connection since last century, man! My cheapo home connection
> here, just outside London, is an 8Mb/s ADSL1 one! Now 24MB/s ADSL2 is
> rolling out across large British cities. I'm not going for that because
> my home LAN is only 10Mb/s 10base-2. :=AC)

My boss lives in San Diego,CA and the rotten bastard has a 50Mb/sec fiber
circuit to his house.  I try not to miss any opportunity to tell him he
sucks. :)  At least I'm trying to catch up.

g.

--=20
"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"

Proud owner of 80-0007