[GEM Development] Test: Ok, I'll Be the First to Try a Letter

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 10:33:56 PST 2006

Gene Buckle wrote:

> I'm still in a state of shock.  For the last 10 years, I've been working
> on a DSL line that gave me 64k download and 25k upload speeds.  I thought
> it was fast. *cough*  Boy, was I wrong.

ADSL for 10y? The first public tests of ADSL connections over the public
telephone network in the UK were only about 5y ago (circa 2000-2001). I
didn't think ADSL existed outside the telco labs a decade ago.

Secondly, the *slowest* ADSL lines I've ever heard of were around
512Kb/s downstream; speeds of 128Kb/s or so upstream are typical. 64Kb/s
is ISDN speed and by aggregating 2 channels (ISDN channels typically
come in pairs) you'd be able to get 128Kb/s, and that would be
symmetrical, with 64Kb/s upstream too.

Maybe you guys in the US have some weird systems and standards! From the
PoV of the rest of the developed world, your multiple competing telcos
look pretty silly :¬) I was hugely amused to read press releases from
some US telcos late last year to proudly proclaim that subscribers from
different cellphone networks could text one another. We've had that in
Europe for about a decade and I can text anyone on any GSM network
anywhere in the world. I expect nothing less. I hadn't dreamed that
anywhere was so backwards that they /couldn't/ do that.

But 64Kb/s ADSL in the mid- to late-1990s? Really? 8¬o

I have read that America was ahead in broadband uptake. 64K hasn't been
a fast connection since last century, man! My cheapo home connection
here, just outside London, is an 8Mb/s ADSL1 one! Now 24MB/s ADSL2 is
rolling out across large British cities. I'm not going for that because
my home LAN is only 10Mb/s 10base-2. :¬)

--
Liam Proven · http://livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=lproven
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com · MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk · Skype: liamproven · ICQ: 73187508