[GEM Development] The OpenGEM Interviews

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 03:57:15 PDT 2005

John Elliott wrote:

>   No, the PC1640 couldn't do the PC1512's 640x200x16 mode; it did EGA
> 640x200x16 instead, which gets the same results but with hardware
> acceleration. It could also do Plantronics 640x200x4.

EGA had acceleration? News to me. Or was this specific to Amstrad EGA?
Which would still be news to me, but slightly less surprising. I didn't
think PC GUI accelerators came along 'til another few years after that.

>   One fun point is that according to
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=YjfMmNARDql4Ewx5%40perry.co.uk> the
> PC1640 still has the original PC1512 video circuitry (disabled) as well as
> its own Paradise EGA chipset.

Good grief! I never knew. However did you find that?

--
Liam Proven · http://livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=lproven
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com · MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk · Skype: liamproven · ICQ: 73187508