[GEM Development] The OpenGEM Interviews

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 17:01:57 PDT 2005

<homer>Mmm, PC1512...</homer>

> They came bundled with MS-DOS 3.1 and Digital
> Research DOS+, a weird CP/M-86 based forerunner of DR-DOS.

MS-DOS 3.2; curiously, at around the same time Research Machines were
shipping the Nimbus range with MS-DOS 3.1.  Always amused me; 3.2 was the
first MS version to support 3.5" floppies AFAIK, which the Nimbus had but
the PC1512/1640 lacked!  Yes, I'm a bit sad like that.

> One weird 'Strad feature was a sort-of-CGA-compatible graphics chip on
> the motherboard which could do 640x200 in 4 colours, if I remember
> correctly.

640x200 in 16 colours (4 planes), and that was the PC1512.  The PC1640 had
an EGA-compatible adapter onboard, which could be configured for various
modes of operation (CGA, EGA, Hercules, possibly the PC1512's 16-colour
CGA?) with DIP switches on the rear panel.

Yes, I'm looking for a distraction with my afternoon coffee, why do you ask?

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)