[GEM Development] GEM Dialog Problems

Scott McDonald smpcs at hotkey.net.au
Thu Oct 13 14:33:05 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I am currently developing a GEM database application, with similar capabilities
to the DOS version MS Works.

It is progressing well, but I am looking for two tips and/or advice.

1. Has anyone ever constructed a dialogue in the RCS, and when it is called from
the application with code like this (in Turbo Pascal using GEMBIND with some
naming changes):

	Form_Dialog(FMD_START);
	Form_Dialog(FMD_GROW);
	Hide_Mouse;
	Obj_Draw(Dialog_Tree, root, max_depth, X, Y, W, H);
	Show_Mouse;

	Form_Do(Dialog_Tree, 0);

	Form_Dialog(FMD_SHRINK);
	Form_Dialog(FMD_FINISH);

after the dialog is drawn and is on screen it freezes GEM at the point of
Form_Do? (Note, the dialog just displays text and has two button and doesn't
have any input lines.)

I suspect I have messed up the stack at some previous point and just wondered if
anyone has some tips in this area. (The Resources open fine in RCS but as this
is all new to me I don't yet have much experience with AES programming to rule
out all the possibilities.)

2. In terms of application development, what debugging tools have been used? At
this stage I not yet tried Turbo Debugger, but I suspect the .APP extension may
cause problems. Any ideas or general suggestions in this area?

Thanks.

Scott McDonald

Scott McDonald PC Services
ABN: 20 586 027 242
PO Box 139 Newtown 2042
Fax: 9564-2347
Email: smpcs at bigpond.com
Website: http://www.users.bigpond.com/smpcs
"Resourceful Computing for Professional Teachers"