[GEM Development] The only 256-colour driver?

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 14:39:44 PDT 2005

John:

Well Done. For all the 'limitations' - I've read the
ReadMe file - it is a Great start for any of the rest
of us to extend.
In the 'lost' letter, I mentioned that I had done some
examination of this idea using SciTech's UniVBE
concept(s). (NOT one line of code, though!)

The Universal VESA BIOS Extensions Driver / SDK is no
longer "supported" by SciTech. (Neither is their
Display Doctor driver for Win32, Linux, nor my
OS/2Warp. They've 'moved on' to "SNAP! Graphics". All
these are 32-bit). Both ARE still available fromn
their website, though (the last time I looked). Using
the SDK I'd hoped (/I hope!) to get a driver written
that'd 'work' with ANY video card (with 512KB RAM or
more). Then, also, as I thought and your README
confirmed, the 'guts' of GEM would HAVE TO BE(!)
re-done to accommidate 256 possible colors - though,
as I explained in that letter, we'd *need* only a
fixed 216 for web browser purposes(; leaving 40 'for
fun'?).

Sincerely,

Tom Clayton