[GEM Development] Talking of interesting screenshots...

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 19:04:34 PST 2005

:
: John Elliott wrote:
:
: >   There's a bit more on the ABC 310 (like an ABC 300 but with a hard drive)
: > in the 'Retro' section of the current (April 2005) issue of Personal
: > Computer World.
:
: Oh really? Must grab a copy...

  Correction: It's the "Flashback" column.

: > Apparently it was pretty much a repackaged BBC with a 286
: > coprocessor, which ran GEM atop "a multitasking version of CP/M" - probably
: > Concurrent DOS.
:
: Nope, it was DOS-Plus. Sort of CP/M-86 with a vaguely DOS-compatible
: shell on it. I have it running under VirtualPC; I can supply system disk
: images if you're curious.

  I know what DOS Plus is, and I've got copies of the BBC and IBM versions.
But there are also hints of a Concurrent-DOS port to the Acorn coprocessor.
For example, the GEM driver for the Master 512 checks for Concurrent DOS,
and behaves differently if it finds it (for example, it has to MC_ALLOC a
frame buffer rather than using the CGA screen at B800:0).

--
John Elliott