[GEM Development] Shane Land GEMini 3 further details

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 16:39:58 PDT 2005

> Hi Liam!

Hello :¬)

> GEMini Release 3 and OpenGEM Release 4 will use the DR GEM 3.13 AES and
> VDI, and the FreeGEM 3.2 desktop as the core GUI.  This is different to
> GEMini Release 2 and OpenGEM Release 3, which use FreeGEM AES, VDI and
> Desktop 3.2.
>
> Why have I changed things?  We were getting reports of system hanging
> and unexpected program quitting from people testing GEMini Release 3, so
> by going back to the DR GEM 3.13 code for the AES and VDI the problem
> seems to have gone away (and everything is running faster).  I'd like to
> debug the problem, and get the nice 3D code back sometime...but the main
> priority for OpenGEM Release 4 is stability for the FreeDOS platform.

I see. Wouldn't it have made more sense to pass any such reports on to
the mailing list here, so that the authors of the FreeGEM code could try
to fix the problems, rather than simply throwing away all the work of
the FreeGEM community for several years? I don't recall seeing any such
bug reports.

> PS:  I am thinking of having a seperate OpenGEM release using the
> FreeGEM AES and VDI.  Perhaps it could be add-on pack to OpenGEM Release
> 4 (using the new update system), and people could revert back to the DR
> GEM AES and VDI quickly if they were having problems using the new
> OpenGEM REPAIR option in SETUP.BAT.

Entirely up to you, of course, but you do rather seem to me to be
tossing out the baby with the bathwater...

--
Liam Proven
Home: http://welcome.to/liamsweb * Blog: http://lproven.livejournal.com
AOL, Yahoo UK: liamproven * ICQ: 73187508 * MSN: lproven at hotmail.com