[GEM Development] GEM software still being downloaded quite a lot

Peter Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Thu Jun 10 00:37:47 PDT 2004

G'day again, Shane!

Well, you'll be somewhat closer to Australia if you go to Japan --
there's that to it. Our son (from England) went there about 2 years ago
as accompanist with a choir performing The Messiah, and was able to
visit us as a detour on his way back to scenic downtown Gravesend (his
former home, which he leaves today for his own place in Sidcup.) He
rather enjoyed the visit to Japan.

I've got a bit of study behind me, and always have mixed feelings about
it.  I am glad that I did it, but I also look at the things I could have
done with the time. As I did my first degree as an evening student and
my second essentially in the same fashion, that took up 10 years of
life, and it was hard to really get into important things like my
family. I imagine that you are 5 or 6 years away from high school now,
with two degrees behind you; I started late (at 24) and finished that
lot at 36. I also squeezed a practicing certificate into the gap between
the bachelors and masters degrees. I'm glad for you that you got it all
done quickly -- assuming that you did. Nevertheless, you've had perhaps
5 to 7 years carved out of your life, and refocusing on the rest of life
is not easy.

I remembered that you did something on cybernetic warfare... you asked a
couple of questions about the issues of the GEM group, and I read the
paper to which you directed us at the time. I remember it was
interesting. Was that the final paper? Or did you have to tidy up and
expand something you did in less detail earlier in the year? I think
it's an important issue. My father used to ruminate about the effects on
an economy of a good-sized magnetic pulse from a nuclear device, but I
imagine that a coordinated DoS attack could achieve something similar
with less fallout (pardon the pun).

Well, keep in touch, and let me know how Japan is from your perspective.
Will you be maintaining Shaneland from afar, or will you let it lie
until you return?

All the best,

Peter