[Gem-dev] Fw: Your GEM problem

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 13 22:45:42 PDT 2003

Thanks a lot for your help! It is ages ago I worked with DOS so I could
really use such an elaborate explanation :)

But I'm afraid I bumped into another problem I cannot fix myself. Maybe
there's an reasonable easy way for you to be able to help me again. I hope
so!

The thing is OpenGEM works fine now, the mouse is working, the program is
running smoothly, but it just doesn't open every file I click on (well it
tries, leaves the program, the next program starts up, this fails and the
computer returns to OpenGEM). I suspect this is due some memory problem or
something, cause there are enough programs and games OpenGem does run (and
you can trust me in not trying to open pure Windows programs or games under
DOS, in this case it's all DOS programs or games I'm talking about).

Do you know a simple method or DOS program to fix this problem?? OpenGEM
runs on my 300 Mhz Cyrix II with 32 EdoRAM.

Typing MEM in DOS results in the following information (translated from
dutch):

MS-DOS is running in the HMA (Higer memory ...)
Extended memory (XMS): 28.672 k
Conventional (?) memory: 640 k - used 74 k - free 566 k
Maximum size of executable program: 566 k (>> I think this could be the
problem)

Really hope you can help me with this!!

Thanks in advance. Sincerely,