[simpits-tech] Using pots for position sensing

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Oct 10 06:51:59 PDT 2008

> But.. and the big but is - how to physically operate the pot? With rotary
> pots it's hard to get a full sweep, impossible if you try to use a simple
> bell-crank setup. And linear pots are generally fairly fragile so you
> don't want to put any strain on either end of it's movement.

I've fought that particular monster myself recently.  Without using gears,
or some other mechanical system, there's just no easy solution to it.

However, in doing research for an article I've ordered some VERY cheap
hall effect sensors (about $1.50 each).  I found about them when I was
checking to see how close Mike was getting to finishing his book. :)

Head over to http://www.mikesflightdeck.com and scroll down to the section
titled "Position Sensors Chapter Revisions (3 September 2008)" and also
the section marked "Control Yoke Chapter Progress and Hall Sensors (20
June 2008)"  The second section goes into detail on how the bits go
together.  The setup he illustrats is very simple and pretty much deletes
a whole bunch of mechanical linkages required to turn a pot.  I've got a
pile of .125" neodymium magnets that I'm going to try this with to see how
well it works.  If they're not enough I can always hit the local hardware
store for ones like he's using.

Digikey carries the Allegro A1301 parts in stock.  (you want the SIP
version, not the surface mount of course)

g.

-- Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007