[simpits-tech] Aluminum Fire

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 08:13:45 PST 2004

On the 747, the only time that we had spark was cutting throught the floor in the cockpit. Unknown to us there is a plate of stainless steel in the floor. The sparks from that is what caught the thing on fire. Fire is an issue when cutting on a real cockpit, that is for sure. We also learned that scrapping planes has other hazards. If the plane has old fuel in the tanks (like the 747 did) you have to pay the EPA a bunch of money to pump it out and dispose of it.  Then you have to deal with the possibility of fire when cutting the tanks. Many old airliners like the L-1011 use uranium for ballast, and it is often so old that the warning colors have completely faded and it now looks hamless if you dont know what you are looking for. The EPA is insanely expensive when they have to remove them.

Justin

Aluminum doesn't spark at all.  I agree with Rob, there was very likely some
magnesium in the skin.

I'll keep that in mind should ever I crash and survive up in the wilderness.
I can use the skin to start a fire.

Jay