[simpits-tech] Home made HUD?

Justin Messenger simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:53:23 -0700 (PDT)

The HUD in the high end C-17 sim I road on last Spring
didn't focuse correctly either. Rather than being
projected forward with the main view it focused right
on the HUD glass, so you kind of had to look at one or
the other, but I quickly got used to it.

Justin

> Problem with HUD's is that the image is projected
out to 300 feet (the
> beginnings of infinity for practical purposes) and
that tricks the eye
> and brain to focus on both the HUD image and the
distant image as both
> at infinity and thus superimposed on one another.  I
was talking a while
> back with Chris Woodul about this and he said a lot
of sims just project
> the HUD image on the screen with the rest of the
stuff.  Not a true
> likeness of the real thing, but a lot easier,
cheaper and more practical