[simpits-tech] CH stick

Brian West. simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 18 May 2002 21:01:23 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C1FEAF.2AA0D5C0

Justin,  Thanks for your very lucid reply. I can see what you are doing =
now, probably just moving the linkages gives a more realistic feeling of =
effort even without hydraulic resistance. I tried to open your site but =
Yahoo couldn't cope, will try again.  Good luck,    Brian West.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Justin Messenger <jjmessenger@yahoo.com>
    To: Simpits-tech@simpits.org <Simpits-tech@simpits.org>
    Date: 18 May 2002 00:08
    Subject: [simpits-tech] CH stick
   =20
    Brian, I agree that the CH FX stick is a great stick. I decided to =
use it because the=20

    Microsoft sticks are the wrong shape for what I needed. Any pictures =
posted of the=20

    stick will be at =
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/3480/Joystick.html

    because I want to hook it to a second stick positioned behind the =
pilot I based the=20

    linkage loosly on that of a real F-4. A real F-4 has a pipe that =
runs under the pilots

     ejection seat to the rear of the cockpit. The stick shaft mounts =
directly to the shaft,=20

    moving=20

    the stick right or left rotates the shaft. Due to the design of the =
stick I could not=20

    mount the stick directly to the pipe without disturbing the FF =
motors and gears, so I=20

    screwed a metal bracket to the bottom of the shaft and screwed a =
cable to each end=20

    of the bracket. the cable winds around the pipe, making it rotate =
when you move the=20

    stick.=20

    Back to the real F-4, forward and aft movement of the stick moves a =
rod that runs inside the pipe. I have a great picture of this setup I =
plan to put on my website sometime. With my setup I could not run the =
rod inside the pipe due to the ch design, so it lays parallel to the =
pipe. Inside the base of the CH unit I screwed a metal rod to the base =
of the sticks shaft. I also added some bondo to strengthen the bond =
between the rod and the shaft. This short rod is long enough that the =
end of the rod is screwed to the long rod that is positioned beside the =
pipe under the ejection seat. Moving the stick forward and aft makes the =
rod under the ejection seat move forward and aft. Now when I build the =
WSO's section I can hook his stick to the pilots stick.

    Moving all this linkage makes the stick feel like it is really =
hooked to the cockpit. I have yet to try it with the FF turned on.

    Justin

   =20

   =20

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C1FEAF.2AA0D5C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Justin,&nbsp; Thanks for your very =
lucid reply.=20
I can see what you are doing now, probably just moving the linkages =
gives a more=20
realistic feeling of effort even without hydraulic resistance. I tried =
to open=20
your site but Yahoo couldn't cope, will try again.&nbsp; Good=20
luck,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Brian West.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>Justin Messenger &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:jjmessenger@yahoo.com">jjmessenger@yahoo.com</A>&gt;<BR><B=
>To:=20
    </B><A =
href=3D"mailto:Simpits-tech@simpits.org">Simpits-tech@simpits.org</A>=20
    &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:Simpits-tech@simpits.org">Simpits-tech@simpits.org</A>&gt;=
<BR><B>Date:=20
    </B>18 May 2002 00:08<BR><B>Subject: </B>[simpits-tech] CH=20
    stick<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <P>Brian, I agree that the CH FX stick is a great stick. I decided =
to use it=20
    because the </P>
    <P>Microsoft sticks are the wrong shape for what I needed. Any =
pictures=20
    posted of the </P>
    <P>stick will be at <A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/3480/Joystick.html"=
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/3480/Joystick.html</A></P>=

    <P>because I want to hook it to a second stick positioned behind the =
pilot I=20
    based the </P>
    <P>linkage loosly on that of a real F-4. A real F-4 has a pipe that =
runs=20
    under the pilots</P>
    <P>&nbsp;ejection seat to the rear of the cockpit. The stick shaft =
mounts=20
    directly to the shaft, </P>
    <P>moving </P>
    <P>the stick right or left rotates the shaft. Due to the design of =
the stick=20
    I could not </P>
    <P>mount the stick directly to the pipe without disturbing the FF =
motors and=20
    gears, so I </P>
    <P>screwed a metal bracket to the bottom of the shaft and screwed a =
cable to=20
    each end </P>
    <P>of the bracket. the cable winds around the pipe, making it rotate =
when=20
    you move the </P>
    <P>stick. </P>
    <P>Back to the real F-4, forward and aft movement of the stick moves =
a rod=20
    that runs inside the pipe. I have a great picture of this setup I =
plan to=20
    put on my website sometime. With my setup I could not run the rod =
inside the=20
    pipe due to the ch design, so it lays parallel to the pipe. Inside =
the base=20
    of the CH unit I screwed a metal rod to the base of the sticks =
shaft. I also=20
    added some bondo to strengthen the bond between the rod and the =
shaft. This=20
    short rod is long enough that the end of the rod is screwed to the =
long rod=20
    that is positioned beside the pipe under the ejection seat. Moving =
the stick=20
    forward and aft makes the rod under the ejection seat move forward =
and aft.=20
    Now when I build the WSO's section I can hook his stick to the =
pilots=20
    stick.</P>
    <P>Moving all this linkage makes the stick feel like it is really =
hooked to=20
    the cockpit. I have yet to try it with the FF turned on.</P>
    <P>Justin</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C1FEAF.2AA0D5C0--