[simpits-tech] Canopy Material

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 21:37:40 -0500

Tom Colello wrote:

> Marv,
> It does have alot of the properties that Lexan has but seems to form easier
> either cold or with heat and we have never been able to twist polycarbonate
> cold like we did this stuff.
> I took a piece of 1/8" thick  1" wide by 6" long and cold bent it into a W
> shape and flexed the seams 100 times without a break. The bend got so thin
> I was able to tear it. It never did break.
> How well it will hold shape I don't know. The literature shows a blow
> molded piece in the form of a mask with a Pinoccio nose so it must retain
> it's shape after molded. I just thought this would solve many problems with
> forming canopy's for some of you guys sims.

I'm kinda late on this thread, so I missed alot, but I'll be needing a
windscreen and bubble canopy by (hopefully) Feb. of next year. Not for a
sim, though. Has to be strong/stiff enough to hold it's shape up to
about 240 mph with nothing but a carbon fiber frame around the rear edge
of the windscreen and front edge of the canopy. Will this stuff handle
it? Would really suck the have the canopy explode halfway through a snap
roll ;)
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/