[simpits-tech] Cougar Mod extension - Request suggestion and feedback

Steve Wilson simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:02:42 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C1EAF1.1035BE20

Albert, I couldn't find the image file, but I agree with you. =20

I've been considering what I'm sure is a similar extension of the Cougar =
FLCS.  Essentially, one simply attaches the Cougar grip to a mount =
similar to the one that our clever bud Marv designed for his own pit.  =
The base of the Coug is then mounted at about deck level directly =
underneath, only 180 degrees reversed.  A short extension cord connects =
the two electronically.  Then a simple, straight extension goes from the =
base of the grip down to some sort of simple cage style gimbal mounted =
on the base in place of the stick.  Voila - short throw Cougar.

This is 100% harmless to the FLCS side.

On the other side of the pit, things get more fun, however.  The =
internal wiring of the TQS would very likely have to be cut and extended =
about five inches so that a realistic replica or real world F-16 TQS arm =
(preferred) could be substituted for the shorter arm that comes with the =
product.  There are some great internal pix of the TQS on =
http://mpgnetz.de/images/cougar/sh.html that really feed the imagination =
for this part of the project.  I don't have the Cougar myself, just =
yet.. :-( =20

Lots of wires in there! =20

After grafting the handle atop the throttle arm, one also has to figure =
out a suitable way to graft the hub back onto the shaft of the original =
TQS.  I think that will have to be via some sort of indirect attachment =
via a simple linkage, however, to keep things from becoming too =
encumbered.  A Real World TQS arm does have a rather nice ball bearing =
pivot, and it would be a shame not to use it.  ;-)  If one could =
disconnect the internal plug and interpose some sort of extension, that =
would be cooler, however, and more reliable.  With a little luck, one =
may be able to avoid any hacking and slashing, and have reasonable hope =
of maintaining their warranty.  The hard part would be getting the =
somewhat complex and wide plug out through the throttle pivot, a =
not-so-easy task, I fear.

Still, with relatively little trouble, I'm sure we can completely hide =
the Cougar bases in our F-16 pits, and come away with one good looking, =
reliable and sanity preserving solution.

Steve
  ----- Original Message -----=20