[simpits-chat] Dr. Fun III

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:39:04 +0000

Religious JUSTIFICATIONS I'd never argue. Of course they're justifying their
actions using their religion (or at least their own personal version). But
let me ask you this: (and I really do want to know what you think, as I'm
not an expert here and am more than willing to be proven wrong) Do you think
those suicide bombers are attacking Israelis because they are jewish, or
because what they consider their territory is occupied by the Israilis? That
there is the difference between a religiously MOTIVATED war and a political
one. I've always been of the understanding that they are fighting for the
territory - but again, if I'm wrong, let me know. You'd have more info on
this one than I.

As for the deal 2 years ago, I'm not all that familiar with it, but I can
take one guess... You said "part" of Jerusalem. Again, I'm not real sure,
but it seems like from what I've heard they really want ALL of Jerusalem
back, and naturally the Israelis are unwilling to relinquish. So perhaps
that is part of the reason they rejected it. Or perhaps this is just a war
they dont particularly care to see end anytime soon without the destruction
of Israel? You tell me.

Again, I'm not going to argue that all sorts of nasty, ugly stuff, wars
included, have been "justified" by religion. All I'm saying is the causes
are usually much more complicated than that. If a person wants to justify a
crime or a war with religion, that's the persons fault, not the religions.

Brian