[GEM Development] PDOS (Public Domain Operating System)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:21:43 PDT 2024

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 at 15:45, Thomas Clayton <TopCatDRC at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can you tell whether this is, or is not, going thru the gem-dev
> list-serv? My msg.s seem all to come directly from you.

No, it's from the list.

> Reading the text at the above ref., I do not see any ref. to 32-bit
> development. When they were hoping to get the source code, there was
> much "talk" of going to 32-bits.

There was? From whom?

> IF they were going to do a 32-bit version, then, either:
> they build into it a DOS extender and end up with better
> Win9x-type system

I think it has one. I am not sure -- I have spent very little time
playing with it. I was never a Commodore user - I was a Sinclair and
then an Acorn kid.

> or
> they have a 32-bit OpSys ('DOS') underneath that handles 'system calls'
> and the graphic environment is an over-running layer(s) which would be
> like what a PC-OS/3 -type is. This latter case the PD-OS /could/ be a
> base for.

I am not seeing the connection here.

PC GEOS is a DOS app. It runs on DOS. Rewriting it for another OS
would be a massive undertaking and I don't see the point.

There are both 16-bit and 32-bit DOS extenders now. There's no need.
Why make it vastly less compatible and usable by fewer people?

> Compact Optical Disc Drive : the original size was a Digital Audio Disc,
> then the Digital Video Disc, recently the Blue Ray Disc.

That is *not* the word, Thomas.

You've been using WEIRD random EMPHASIS on THE interNET for AS long I
have known YOU.

Please do not start inventing your own acronyms now. It will make your
email even harder to read.

> My memory has it that you're in Czechia working at The Register.

Left Czechia a year and a bit ago, sadly. Still at the Reg.

> Several
> RedHat, CEntOS, Alma, and Rocky stories by you were discussed by my
> Linux Learning group friends in previous years.

Good to know. :-)

> IBMs actions caused
> great consternation among them as to what distro they should jointly
> use. In the end, they splintered into different ones. :-( No idea if
> they individually study, still.

I participated on a panel on this subject last month. You can watch it here:

https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-3113-rhel-and-centos-and-the-growth-of-openwashing-in-foss/

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
IoM: (+44) 7624 277612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053