[GEM Development] PDOS (Public Domain Operating System)

Thomas Clayton TopCatDRC at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 08:44:56 PDT 2024

Hi.
Can you tell whether this is, or is not, going thru the gem-dev
list-serv? My msg.s seem all to come directly from you.

On 03/15/2024 05:35 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 at 05:02, Thomas Clayton <TopCatDRC at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Next, with regard to Liam's reply, besides GEM, there was a GEOS OpEnv
>> that ran over DOS.
>
> Still around. FOSS now.
>
> https://github.com/bluewaysw/pcgeos

Thanks! Saves me the hunting for "where" they went. :-)

>> They're (as far as I know) building - attempting to
>> build - a 32bit version of it. I figure they need something like PD-OS.
>
> (?)

Reading the text at the above ref., I do not see any ref. to 32-bit
development. When they were hoping to get the source code, there was
much "talk" of going to 32-bits.

> Why? I see no connection at all.

IF they were going to do a 32-bit version, then, either:
they build into it a DOS extender and end up with better
Win9x-type system
or
they have a 32-bit OpSys ('DOS') underneath that handles 'system calls'
and the graphic environment is an over-running layer(s) which would be
like what a PC-OS/3 -type is. This latter case the PD-OS /could/ be a
base for.

>> Re-rebuilding my PCs. HDDs and CODDs needed replacing this past weekend.
>
> What is a "CODD"?

Compact Optical Disc Drive : the original size was a Digital Audio Disc,
then the Digital Video Disc, recently the Blue Ray Disc.
:-)

My memory has it that you're in Czechia working at The Register. Several
RedHat, CEntOS, Alma, and Rocky stories by you were discussed by my
Linux Learning group friends in previous years. IBMs actions caused
great consternation among them as to what distro they should jointly
use. In the end, they splintered into different ones. :-( No idea if
they individually study, still.

Tom Clayton

Tom Clayton