[GEM Development] A few bits and pieces

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Fri May 25 16:06:58 PDT 2012

* I've got my video driver test utility to a point where I'm happy to post
 the source. You can find it at the bottom of my 'drivers' page:
 <http://www.seasip.info/Gem/drivers.html>.

* Among the functions tested by the utility are some that weren't
 implemented in any PC/GEM driver, ever. v_contourfill() and v_get_pixel()
 and so on. Why would I got to the trouble of writing tests for them? Well,
 because I've ported the GEM/3 VGA driver to SDL, and added the extra
 functions to it. You can get the resulting tarball at
 <http://www.seasip.info/Gem/gengem.html>

* As part of the development process of SDSDL, I integrated it with my
 Apricot PC emulator, QDAE <http://www.seasip.info/Unix/QDAE/>, so that
 it could provide native GEM (and GSX) services to programs. Here it is,
 in 15-bit truecolour mode, displaying test page P (Palette):
        <http://www.seasip.info/Unix/QDAE/gem2.png>

 Among the facts I learned while testing: PAINT.APP will crash if the screen
has more than 16 colours (four planes).

--
John Elliott