[GEM Development] Update to SETTINGS.APP

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 14:34:03 PDT 2011

> Nice work, sir!  Always liked the idea of the Hercules InColor; when I had
> a machine with an HGA card GEM looked pin-sharp on it.  (And wow, I've
> never seen an SD model 'in the flesh', would've expected a beige blanking
> plate on the left similar to the Winchester front panels I've seen on HD
> models.)

  The left-hand blanking plate in SD models seems to be part of the
moulding; to remove it, you'd have to cut through half-a-dozen plastic
'bridges'. It also has a mount point for a hard drive activity LED,
though in the pictured PC1512 (which does incorporate a third-party hard
drive upgrade) this hasn't been used.

> Aaanyway...  Out of interest, does your InColor-equipped 1512 make the
> interesting chirping noises that the stock one does when updating the
> screen?  I never managed to track down whether it was coming from the
> video circuitry or suchlike in the System Unit, or something in the
> monitor.

  I don't hear anything, though I suppose it may be drowned out by the
hard drive.

--
John Elliott