[GEM Development] Apricot GEM: Screenshots and bugs

Ben A L Jemmett ben at jemmett.me.uk
Tue Dec 13 14:38:27 PST 2011

On Tue, December 13, 2011 10:20 pm, John Elliott wrote:
> I think GEM may come to my rescue in another way, too: as far as I can
> see, Apricot MS-DOS does not have a full-screen text editor. Fortunately
> WRITE.APP might just fill that gap.

Heh, flashbacks to stern warnings in magazines to 'turn off document mode
if using a word processor' to edit plain text files ;)  I wouldn't imagine
full-screen text editors were standard equipment in that sort of
timeframe; EDLIN was where it was at as far as MS-DOS was concerned, which
is probably why the Amstrad machines came with RPED on the GEM Desktop
diskette...

Nice work, as always, John.  Looking at the desk accessories (that
alternate colour scheme is horrendous!), the 'voice input' option you
mention is intriguing -- I can't find much about that with a quick scout
around, so do you have any pointers to more information on it?

(... aaaaand now I'm clicking around your vintage PC pages.  Guess that's
goodbye to the rest of the evening then *grin*)

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett