[GEM Development] DR operating systems

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 16:05:50 PST 2010

Gene:

Do you have (/ were they released) : the source code for
SYS.COM, FORMAT.COM, and ?CHKDSK.EXE? .

(I can't remember which was the third 'piece' that I considered ESSENTIAL for a Disk OpSys.)

Back in the day, when I was arguing with James Forney(?) about this - he had written one of his books and said something to the effect that one "really only needed" IBMBIO.COM, IBMDOS.COM, and COMMAND.COM - I disagreed and wrote him that, at least, three others were needed. It could be that I'm MIS-remembering the first one that I listed (sys.com) - BUT one needs SOME way to get the OpSys to YOUR own disk(ette). Format and Chkdsk are needed for the file system, itself. (There were - and ARE - alternatives to FDISK - of which I like "part.exe", the best. DR-DOS's FDISK, also, DID formatting.)

MY APOLOGIES for the run-on sentences!

;-) While on the subject of re-compilation :-0

How about a 15dot4 naming convention with-in the same 32-byte FAT entry?

- - Fifteen 'cause I'd read about NetBIOS naming conventions.
(Just something that has been "rattling around" in my brain for "ages"!)

Sincerely,

Thomas Clayton

BTW,
IF for GEOS, THEN "we" would HAVE TO break the 32-Char per FAT entry.
SINCE GEOS uses 32 char.s for JUST its files' names and I don't (yet) know WHAT for "extensions". (<- Note: that word is a PLURAL! 32dot?dot?dot?)