[GEM Development] GEM-32 - compiler notes

Ethan Grammatikidis eekee57 at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 28 08:34:40 PST 2009

Shane G noted GCC support is a must. Well maybe supporting
compilation with GCC is a must, but relying on GCC extensions and
behaviour could be a Bad Thing. I've seen increasing feeling against
GCC lately. (Anti-GCC feeling is rising in the open source camp!
Sounds revolutionary doesn't it? :) ) I've seen LLVM welcomed not
because it's anything special in its own right but just because it is
an alternative to GCC! My favourite OS doesn't support GCC at all,
nor could it ever do while keeping to its principles of simplicity
and consistency.

I'm sure many who appreciate simplicity would appreciate being able
to compile GEM with a simpler compiler. Someone will try TCC sooner
or later, that's almost certain, TCC and GEM fall into more or less
the same field.

TCC: http://bellard.org/tcc/

I don't know how much GEM code would need compiler-specific
extensions, hopefully very little, and IMHO the less it needs the
better.