[GEM Development] [GEM-DEV] GEM 32

David Ormand dlormand at smalltimer.net
Sat Nov 7 22:15:27 PST 2009

I have been thinking about this for some time also.

My interest is maintaining GEM as _the_ GUI for DOS.  Having GEM under
Linux is fine, and a great alternative to X, but not if it moves it away
from being useful under DOS.

Now, seems to me if you move towards Linux, you are moving towards using
GCC.  We already have a GCC for DOS, namely, DJGPP.  Seems to me the
first step is "porting" GEM to compile using DJGPP.  From what I've
heard, this could be a bit of a challenge, since GEM/AES/VDI are kind of
a "mixed bag".  I've got the sources, but I haven't looked at them
carefully.  If GCC/DJGPP is too difficult, OpenWatcom can generate
32-bit code for both DOS and Linux.  And Windows, like CygWin or MinGW.
I don't think a 16-bit compiler like Borland is the right path to 32 bits.

A public-domain OS like MMURTL is interesting, but we already have
FreeDOS and Linux OSes (and BSDs), and anyways, it appears that MMURTL
involves the use of yet another non-standard (and apparently non-free)
compiler.

Any of the old-timers, was there ever an attempt to "standardize" the
build environment on something up-to-date or in common use?

Seems the next step then is taking advantage of the native 32-bit video
resources.  Under Linux, there are the wide array of device drivers.
Under DOS, there are various graphics libraries, such as GRX or MGRX,
that already have DJGPP ports.

I realize this hand-waving in ignorance is easy, but any project would
have a better chance of success of attracting participants with a clear
path and objective.  I know I would enjoy participating!