[GEM Development] [GEM-DEV] GEM 32

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 01:15:57 PST 2009

Shane,

First and FOREMOST: I, in NO way meant ANY criticism of you. I hadn't noticed / realized Bro. Henry had mentioned you. If I had, I'd have written more for clarifications sake. You have made many good contributions. GEM development isn't  - and shouldn't be - ALL on your shoulders.

Second, I was thinking about US as a group. Yeah. There is 32-bit processor (an 80386? ;-)  ) available (quite a few others, in fact, now  :-)  )
 and
wouldn't it be "neato" for GEM to run in a manner that took "full advantage" of it (those).

As a starting point for the 32-bit dream, I'd recommend everyone look up "MMURTL". An individual, named Richard Burgess, wrote his own 32-bit OpSys back in the '90s. It - and its source code! - is (are) now available as 'public domain' Sw.

In the early "00"'s, I went looking for the book I'd seen (he wrote about HOW he made his design decisions) and couldn't find it till HE re-published it, himself. ***If you find "copies" of the book (in PDF); they are NOT "Public Domain" but (quite correctly) copyrighted by Richard Burgess. He DESERVES the compensation / remuneration _for the book_. ***
Paper-bound copies ARE available FROM him (last I knew). (I own one.)

Still, in more practical matters, I like(d) your idea of "objectifying"(?) GEM 16-bit code.

Sincerely,

Thomas Clayton