[GEM Development] make,make install.

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 14:55:27 PDT 2009

> Also, I don't get the difference between gem app and gem desk accessory;
> i.e. why the latter doesn't work right with djgpp.

  GEM desktop accessories, though they are stored in .EXE format, are loaded
as overlays into a 16-bit process. They thus share GEM.EXE's program segment
prefix, rather than having a proper one of their own. Apparently this can
give a GO32 program trouble. They also get terminated without warning; when
GEM shuts down it just drops all its accessories on the floor without
bothering to let them know.
  That was as far as I got when I gave up on trying to write accessories in
DJGPP. It was a nightmare to debug, because at the time the only debug info
I could get was stack traces in white on a white background. Sometimes.

  To build GEM itself, you don't want DJGPP -- you want a 16-bit compiler.
Anything I've touched has been done in Pacific C, while the original build
tools included Lattice C, Metaware High C, and Borland C.

--
John Elliott