[GEM Development] EGA Cards + 9-Pin (EGA?) Monitor

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 07:54:06 PDT 2008

Dear Developers:

While rummaging through pulled cards at my friends recyclery, I found some EGA cards. I 'yanked' three that are the same and one other that didn't have a matching one. (They all seem to have 256KB RAM on them. I've left the switches where they were set.)

I tell you this, just in case someone needs one.

Now if I only had a monitor to test them with ... .
(I hadn't looked for one when I was there, Friday.)

On Saturday, the TI99ers were having their (our?) monthly meeting. One guy had gone to Germany where the European 99er Fest was being held and would be reporting back over the I'net.

I remembered the meeting going to take place and asked the guy who drives in from the Far West suburbs (Elgin, IL) to one on the lake (Evanston, IL where the meeting is held) IF he still had any EGA monitors 'in his garage'? (I had given him one or two years ago.) "Yes," he said. He was sure he had one but wasn't sure he'd be able to get to it and deliver it.

Well, we missed meeting at Noon (on his West to East leg) but, on the Westerly return leg at 5PM, we did meet. He had along with him a dusty monitor with a 9-pin connector. He also said that he thought he had another 'in the attic, somewhere'.

Examining the one he gave me I noticed it had a "TTL, Ana." switch on the back. John - or anyone else -
Did you have need of one of these to test a video card?

I will "test" it for basic (EGA) working this week.

One other thing, IF ANY of you want to attend a 99er fest,
The Chicago T.I.99 2008 Annual World Faire
 will be held  October 25th from Noon till 4 or 5
 at the Evanston Public Library (this year).
If it is like recent years, there should be 20 -30 people there and we'll have a dinner and awards ceremony afterwards.

Sincerely,

Thomas Clayton
who never has gotten GEM to run on it
 but knows better than to try that, now. (64K RAM max.)