[GEM Development] GEM/5.0 video driver disassembled

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 16:50:55 PST 2008

I wrote:
>   Heigh-ho, what to do now...

  Well, I reorganised my driver download pages. There are now four pages:

* The main FreeGEM video drivers;
* The experimental set, compatible with GEM/4;
* An even more experimental set, compatible with GEM/5;
* Source for original DRI drivers.

  The GEM/4 set has 23 drivers:
- 11 of them stand a sporting chance of working properly with Artline.
-  9 of them aren't totally compatible with Artline, but work fine with
  other GEM programs.
- 13 of them are completely untested.

  The GEM/5 set has a mere 8 drivers - four VESA/VGA ones, and four EGA
ones. So, with a suitable graphics card, you can now run GEM/5 at 800x600 or
1024x768 (still only in 16 colours, though).

  Incidentally, there seems to be a bug in current releases of the
'universal' EGA/VGA driver (SDUNI9.VGA / SDUNI10.VGA / SDUNI11.BS). It works
fine in colour modes, but in mono modes the menus stay on the screen and
don't get removed. I shall look into this at some point.

--
John Elliott