[GEM Development] Newbie questions about OpenGEM

code suidae codesuidae at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:55:35 PDT 2007

On 3/16/07, John Elliott <jce at seasip.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Since timing
> > precision is critical and my application utilizes timer interrupts for
> > it's operation I'm interested in opinions on how well OpenGEM would work
> > with this sort of application.
>
> It's possible to hook the timer interrupt in GEM, but since this is also
> hooked by GEM itself you have to make sure to call the original handler.
> The
> GEM function vex_timv() will hook the timer interrupt and return the
> address
> of the previous handler; it should be called with interrupts disabled.

 Any idea how much time I can expect GEM to take during it's timer routines?

Also is there anything I can do to minimize the amount of time it needs, or
is that something that is fairly fixed? The distribution of GEM that my app
would run under would be distributed with and for my app, so if it would
help I'd consider making modifications to GEM to accommodate my app's
requirements.

> I'm also curious if anyone has done any work with developing with Borlands
> > CLX under OpenGEM?
>
> Unlikely; CLX, as I understand it, is a wrapper round the Qt widget set,
> and I've not heard of anyone trying to port Qt to GEM.

I shouldn't have said 'Borlands' CLX. The DWLP project uses an adaptation of
Borlands CLX library that has been modified to be OS and UI independent.
With this the Delphi GUI form designer can be used to create forms that
compile down to DWLP's Turbo Vision TUI classes with support for both DOS
(using DWLP's DPMI and running on MS-DOS, FreeDOS or other DOS-like systems)
and under windows (console mode).

I'm curious if it might be possible to do something similar with GEM. DWPL
is, AFAIK, all 32bit protected mode though, so it might not be practical to
get anything going.

Just an idea. I'm investigating both DWLP and GEM as options for my project
and it occurred to me that perhaps I could get the best of both worlds.

I've downloaded the GEM development files and it all looks fairly
straight-forward. I'm planning to try it out this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

Dave K