[GEM Development] OpenGEM 5, 6, 7

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 06:21:12 PDT 2007

Dennis Schulmeister wrote:
>> There is an OpenGEM 6 included with FreeDOS 1.0.  OpenGEM 7 is nearly
>> ready for release.
>
> Maybe you can take a minute or two and explain what the differences are
> between release 5, 6 and 7?
> I really look forward to see any of those new releases and to try them
> out on my laptop.

OpenGEM 5 is here: http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/

OpenGEM 6 is currently bundled with FreeDOS 1.0 and I will shortly
update the OpenGEM website to hold it.  OpenGEM 6 is actually just the
graphical user interface; it is not a distribution of all the GEM
application as well.  This is for stability reasons.  The idea is that
the core OpenGEM is really stable and that you are able to install the
applications onto it.  OpenGEM 6 contains minor updates to the graphical
user interface, support for some inkjet printers and solves some
configuration issues.

OpenGEM 7 is just a refinement of OpenGEM 6 with some improved
configuration and the latest drivers etc.  It should be out shortly.

Regards

Shane