[GEM Development] GEM/XM VDI source

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 26 20:11:51 PST 2006

: John, I have a question.  Do you think your 3.2 desktop will go XM
: anytime soon?

  I've done a quick XM build of my desktop; you can find it as version 3.2.4,
at <http://www.seasip.info/Gem/desktops.html>. Apart from including XM
builds, the other change is that it'll run on GEM/2 (maybe even GEM/1) with
no "Invalid Function #" errors (you'll see that the 'click to drop down
menus' preference is greyed out on GEM/2 and XM).
  The XM builds highlight the perennial bugbear of GEM programming: memory.
The small-model build had to omit "Show contents" because there wasn't
the space for it in the code segment, and the large-model build includes
"Show contents" but if I try to use it I get an out of memory error.

  Note that to compile the current desktop you'll need the latest Pacific
bindings, which I've also updated, since earlier bindings did not include
the proc_*() calls.

--
John Elliott