[GEM Development] Batch File Programming for GEM.BAT

Night Hawk phantom_stranger at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:40:30 PST 2006

Shane,

>I have one question: if the utility finds a drive letter that does not
>exist (say "Z:"), what action will it take?  I assume it would then say
>that this drive letter can be used for the SUBST action?
>
>Example:
>On a machine with a A:, C: and E: drive the utility runs and finds Z: is
>free.  It also finds Y: is free.  Therefore the utility sends Z: into
>the environment as %SWAPDRIVE% and Y: as %GEMDRIVE%.  This allows
>GEM.BAT to run with the following two lines:
>
>subst %SWAPDRIVE% C:\OPENGEM\GEMSWAP
>subst %GEMDRIVE% C:\OPENGEM

  Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind.  I would like to write the
utility in assembler because this affords absolute control over DOS in order
to set up the environment to GEM's wishes. I am now working on this utility
and I think it should be in Beta in about 4 weeks.  This will make GEM load
(hopefully) without problems the first time.
  I had in mind to have the utility run early on in the GEM.BAT file because
this utility will be in effect an extension of GEM.BAT.

Cheers,

Todd E. Bedwell
The Night Hawk