[GEM Development] Re: StoneyGEM Announced

Owen Rudge owen at owenrudge.net
Wed Mar 15 01:50:32 PST 2006

> Since one of my goals is to have GEM apps that can run on any old
> hardware, FreePascal may not be the way to go - but I would not rule
> out a port to it - and if anyone has any experience running software
> under GEM that uses a DOS Extender I would be interested in hearing
> your stories.

John Elliott ported the GEM bindings to DJGPP, a 32-bit C/C++ compiler for
DOS. I wrote the first major DJGPP app for GEM, GEMP3 (MP3 player for GEM),
which makes full use of the 32-bit environment and still performs like a
native GEM application. Compatibility varies depending upon sound card
support, etc, but writing 32-bit GEM applications is feasible, if a bit
messy.

Hope this helps!

--
Owen Rudge